Google Slides Integrates Hangouts Video Calls

Can't meet up before an upcoming presentation, or presenting to an audience on the other side of the world? Don't worry, Slides and Hangouts has got you covered.

This week's useful update brings Hangouts video call support to Google Slides, so whenever you want to rehearse with your team before the big day, or are presenting to a group of people but can't be there in person, just tap present at the top of your Android phone or tablet, then the name of the Hangout you want to show it to. You can go through your whole presentation, see your speaker notes, and go through your timings, so all of you can wow your audience, even if you're on different continents!


I honestly can't see myself using this feature a lot, since it's just as easy and convenient to share the presentation to the rest of your group members by email or link - especially if your internet connection's on the slow side (like me...) - and I've never found myself needing to give a presentation with prospective clients remotely, but it's great to have this option nonetheless.

This is yet another reason why everyone should migrate from that expensive, proprietary office suite (ahem ahem Microsoft...). Unfortunately, though Docs, Slides and Sheets are very capable in their own right, I occasionally find myself reverting to MS Office as it just feels more comfortable to use than Google's office suite. However the disadvantage of Office is that it has many features which I've never used before and never will, unlike with Docs, Slides and Sheets, where only the tools that I need are there.

Hopefully this update is a sign of even more great features to come to Drive, so that I can permanently make the switch...

As usual, if you can't wait for the update to roll out to your device, you can easily download the APK here.

P.S. Google: us Android users are still waiting (im)patiently for that Hangouts 4.0 update! 


(Image: Android Police)
(Thanks +Mohamed Magdy)