Google+ Through Glass

What's it like to use Google+ through the latest and greatest in wearable computing? Right now, pretty limited. Still, there are some really neat ways to interact with G+ through Glass - and a lot of potential for future features.

All of the Glass screenshots were taken using screencast to my Nexus 4 - so while the resolution isn't representative of Glass, you're seeing the same thing I see (except for the 3 Android buttons).

Sharing to Google+

Right now, you can't share text posts or links from Glass - just photos or videos that you've taken. Doing so is pretty easy - just click "Share" on any photo, then scroll to the person or Circle you want to share with.


There's no public sharing from Glass right now, and the only circles and people you'll be able to share to are those selected on the "MyGlass" website as "sharing contacts."


All photos and videos from Glass eventually show up in Instant Upload Auto Backup, so if you want to share publicly or to other circles, it's easy to do when you're back to a computer. This is how I've shared most of my #throughglass pictures.

Google+ Notifications

Rather than the full stream of Notifications, Glass will only show a Google+ post for two reasons - it's been specifically shared with you (like when you're tagged in a post), or you've turned on notifications for the circle from which the post came.


For any of these posts, you can +1 or comment using speech to text. In theory, you can read comments on these posts, but the actual syncing of these comments has proved hit and miss for me.

Okay Glass, hang out with...

So far, one of the most demoed features of Glass has been the ability to hangout from anywhere, anytime, and allow those in the hangout to see the same view you're seeing. This would be really neat - if I could get it to work.


In practice I've seen this screen a lot. Part of this is probably due to my poor Wi-Fi connection. But it's also a reminder that Glass is very much a beta project, and for all it's UI polish, some core features still need a lot of work.

However, this is also quite exciting, because it means that there's a lot of potential for a much richer Google+ experience through Glass. The simple ability to make text posts (or share anything beyond photos) would be a big an immediate improvement. I'd love to be able to manage more of my G+ notifications through Glass (though not all, that would be a nightmare). And perhaps my biggest feature request is for the newly-announced Hangouts to come to Glass, as it would truly allow me to ditch text messaging.

In the meantime though, I'm loving the ability to have a small subset of the Google+ experience only a slight nod away. I'm only three days in and already don't want to go another day without this kind of technology. In so many ways, I feel like I'm living in the future.

Have any questions about Glass for Zach? Ask them in the comments!